We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Why cant i connect my laptop to tv via hdmi

herc182

Likes # 0

My old laptop connected just fine but my new one doesnt. New laptop has TWO graphics card (intel for 2D and nvidia for more taxing stuff) and am wondering whether thats the issue?

I connect my laptop to TV via HDMI but when I hit F1 (to change display output to a projector) the laptop screen changes (As though it has connected to the TV) but the TV isnt showing anything. Any ideas?

I have windows 7 64bit if that helps and a 32inch Sony TV (which has allowed connection to before on a different laptop - so it must be my current laptop configuration!)

Like this post
herc182

Likes # 0

If I right click on desktop, click personalise, then go to "display", it shows 3 displays. Assume two are graphics cards and one is definitely the TV. I think it extends or duplicates within the two graphics cards rather than the tv! so irritating!

Like this post
herc182

Likes # 0

This is extremely irritating. I have tried everything that I can think of. anyone have any ideas?

The solution that seems to work for most is here, but doest work for me: http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13974_102-543610/unable-to-mirror-dell-xps-15z-s-display-on-a-hd-tv/

second response

Like this post
herc182

Likes # 0

This is extremely irritating. I have tried everything that I can think of. anyone have any ideas?

The solution that seems to work for most is here, but doest work for me: http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13974_102-543610/unable-to-mirror-dell-xps-15z-s-display-on-a-hd-tv/

second response

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

Difficult to advise when you don't own that actual laptop, but from reading the link, the problem seems to be that the laptop is trying to output from the DisplayPort socket instead of the HDMI socket.

A possible workaround (which involves a small expense) would be to use a mini-DisplayPort to HDMI cable (connected to the mini-DisplayPort socket), instead of a usual HDMI cable. Not ideal, but it might work. Here are some on eBay.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I used my computer tonight using an hdmi connection.I had to change the TV connection to AV1 for it to work.

Like this post
johnashdown123

Likes # 0

If it works on the older laptop there should be no reason why it shouldn't work on the newer one. Are you using HDMI inputs and outputs. You want to make sure it is set up correctly to display. I use my laptop and other HDMI devicesto switch back and forth to my HDTV without any issues. I also a HDMI Switch that I use in this set up.

Like this post
MrDigital01

Likes # 0

Its hard to call whats the exact problem. Better try to check the connection settings and adjust accordingly.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 things we want to see in Android M: New features and fixes

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 release date rumours: 'iPad mini Air' will be 30 percent thinner than current model

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

This animated film reveals the importance of designing for everyone