We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

W7 License Regarding New PC!

exbrum
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hello,

I am considering in the near future to either buying two replacement PC's or to have two custom built. Now regarding the custom build, I was talking to the techie here in Cyprus and he told me that I can use my original W7 Home Prem discs to reinstall to the new PC's? I asked him is this permitted as I am sure that you can only use the license once per disc. He was adament that I could use this on the new computer.

Does anyone know where we stand regarding this?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

D@ve

I think you (and rickf) missed a point.

The original post clearly mentions "my original W7 Home Prem discs"

You don't routinely get Windows original disks with an OEM installation, the software is installed on a hidden HD partition, and what you receive from the supplier is a restore disk.

That's why johndrew and I both made the assumption that we're not discussing an OEM installation here.

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

Perhaps some of the big manufacturers don't issue them anymore, but they certainly exist still. It's not safe to assume that because someone has a Windows 7 disc that it must be a full retail version.

Like this post
exbrum

Likes # 0

Hello ,

Only just saw the added posts just now.

Let me try and clarify, the two home pc's I am talking about were upgraded from XP to W7 Home Prem. using retail discs I bought from the UK when W7 first shipped as they were on offer at reduced prices. The boxes have two discs in each, one 32bit the other 64bit.From what I have read I am still OK to use these if I buy two new pc's to replace the two current ones which would not be used anymore. (Apart from spares maybe).

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"The boxes have two discs in each, one 32bit the other 64bit.From what I have read I am still OK to use these if I buy two new pc's to replace the two current ones which would not be used anymore."

No, you are not. When you buy a retail version of Windows the box will contain two DVDs, as you say. You may use either DVD to install the software on one machine only You can't use the 32bit DVD on one machine and the 64bit on another.

The golden rule is 'one machine only', so when that machine bites the dust you can install on a new machine, but only on that machine.

Like this post
exbrum

Likes # 0

Sorry Forum Editor, I wasn't clear enough in my reply. I am aware that I can use either but only on one machine. My machine now has the 64 bit version but when we first upgraded from XP I had the 32 bit version installed. About a year later I had it changed to 64 bit, but yes, I can only use either of these discs on my one machine only.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Yes you are okay.

It sounds clear to me "The boxes have two discs in each and "two new pc's to replace the two current ones which would not be used anymore."*

I understand that to be 2 separate retail copies of W7 (4 discs in total)

Like this post
exbrum

Likes # 0

Hi lotvic,

Yes, you've got it in one! The reason the two boxes came with the two discs is so that you chose which version to install on the 'One' pc, either 32 bit or the 64 bit versions.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Yes same as mine, Retail W7: if you install 32bit and then change your mind later you can wipe that off the harddrive and install the 64bit. And then if you change your mind you can wipe the 64bit and install the 32bit..... or you can scrap that pc and do it all again on a new pc... indefinitely.

If you have 2 copies of Retail W7 then you can do the above on 2 separate pcs.

Like this post
exbrum

Likes # 0

Well, we have them installed on our two home pc's at present, mine has 64 bit the other 32 bit. It's good to know it can be re used in the circumstances that we have discussed here.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days