We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

W7 License Regarding New PC!

exbrum
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hello,

I am considering in the near future to either buying two replacement PC's or to have two custom built. Now regarding the custom build, I was talking to the techie here in Cyprus and he told me that I can use my original W7 Home Prem discs to reinstall to the new PC's? I asked him is this permitted as I am sure that you can only use the license once per disc. He was adament that I could use this on the new computer.

Does anyone know where we stand regarding this?

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Full versions of Windows with a licence for a single PC can be used on any single machine and moved between them, but it is not permissible to use the licence on more than one PC at a time.

You can buy upgrades to Windows licences (volume licences) that will permit more than one PC to be used and this would be an option.

The actual CDs can be used for any number of installations to any number of PCs, it is the Product Key that restricts the legal number of PCs that can be activated.

Like this post  
johndrew

Likes # 0

A bit more on Product Keys.

Like this post
exbrum

Likes # 0

Hello johndrew,

So from what you said my Techie friend was correct, in that if I have a new pc built, to replace my existing PC, then I can legally use my W7 disc to install to that new one. I don't intend using the old computer but will keep for spares maybe.

One thing I have to consider is sometimes, when you buy pc's from shops here some have been known to have pirated copies of Windows installed which I don't want.

Like this post
exbrum

Likes # 0

Oops, forgot to mark this thread as solved.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"...if I have a new pc built, to replace my existing PC, then I can legally use my W7 disc to install to that new one"

Yes, you can, as long as it's only running on one machine all will be well, as johndrew says.

Like this post
exbrum

Likes # 0

Many thanks for your answere's.

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned already - if your original Windows license was an OEM one (and the majority of home licenses are), then the license lives and dies with the machine it was installed on; you're not technically allowed to use the same license on a new machine, even if the old one is taken out of use.

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

Dave is right. It depends on whether it's a full retail version or OEM. The latter lives and dies with the machine it is installed.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

D@ve & rickf

If you bother to read my post, above, in response to the question posed, I start by saying:

"Full versions of Windows .."

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

johndrew

I did bother read your post thank you. exbrum did not specify whether his version of Windows was a full retail one or an OEM one. I never said you said anything that was untrue.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 release date, price, specs, new features: world's thinnest tablet also gets Touch ID

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Will Photoshop work with Yosemite? And will Illustrator, After Effects, Premiere Pro or the other A?......

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...