We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

upload files to a different drive

tony-guitar

Likes # 0

Hi, Windows is installed on Drive C which is a 120 Gb SSD, and everything i upload defaults to there, but i also have a 1Tb HDD (drive D)that i want to use as main storage for image/music files etc. I've already copied across all the image files/folders i previously uploaded to the D drive, but can i 'tell' Windows to upload to drive D automatically? I want to keep the SSD as clear as possible. Thanks

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I don't bother with redirecting 'My docs..photos...music folder but leave them where they are on the C: drive. Instead I create new folders on the data drive. For instance, on my D; drive I've created a new folder called Downloads. Now in IE, if you click the tools icon, in the dropdown menu select 'View Downloads'. On the bottom left click on 'options'. You get a window up to select default download location. Use the Browse tab to find 'D:/downloads' folder. Select OK. Your downloads will go to D: downloads. If the downloaded program needs to be installed then create a new folder named for that program on D:. For example, I download and save Ccleaner. It goes to D: download folder. On D: I create another folder called CcLeaner, then go back to download folder and run Ccleaner's .exe file. When it is installing it will ask where to install, select browse and find D: Ccleaner folder and install there. You'll still get the shortcut icon and start icon on your desktop to run Ccleaner but it will be installed on your Data drive and not on the C: drive. More reading than actually doing it lol.

Like this post
tony-guitar

Likes # 0

I did that with Picasa 3. I uninstalled from 'C', then re-installed to drive D. But i don't like its UI. I seem to be forever scrolling. I prefer the way Windows organises them, so would still prefer to use that instead. I guess it still means re-directing to 'D' somehow.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

When I reinstall Windows on my SSD the first thing I do is move all the MY Folders to a larger (1GB)Sata HDD. This is the method I use Move Folders.

On another 1TB HDD I have all my games including my 467GB Steam games installation.

All I have on my 128GB M4 is my OS and around 70+ programs with around 60GB still free.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Google Fit vs Apple Health Kit: What's the difference?

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

Government kills £50 million 'Silicon Roundabout' regeneration fund