We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Win7 re-run/2nd licence(?) from Vista?

tomme

Likes # 0

Bought Win7 disk from Amazon in 2010. Much much better than Vista. How many 'runs' or licences can I use on same PC? What would happen if I used the Win7 disk '2nd time'? I have an error that cannot clear up so would a re-run of Win7 disk solve the problem? Thanks for any input.

Like this post
daxian

Likes # 0

hi ... as far as i know ,you can run the setup as many times as you like on the same pc as long as you only use the "key" on one machine . but windows 7 has a repair option and i would try that first ,as it may well fix your problem ,without resorting to a clean install.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

It certainly runs twice on different, unrelated, PCs.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

The Windows 7 licence only allows you to install the software on one computer. The fact that you may be able to install on another machine doesn't make any difference - you are contravening the licence conditions.

The software comes to you in both 32bit and 64bit versions. You can use whichever version you like, but you can still only install one version - you can't use each of them on different computers.

You can make multiple installations on the same computer.

Like this post
Number six

Likes # 0

As far as I know, an OEM version of window is tied to one machine, and the full retail version is transferable between different machines - i.e. when you upgrade or replace your computer, you can carry on using the same license as long as it is only installed on one machine at a time Either way,you should be fine re-installing on the same pc.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 530 review: £60 smartphone offers decent build and performance, awful screen and...

IDG UK Sites

Apps watch: What the NFL can teach UK sports such as cricket and rugby

IDG UK Sites

Game of Thrones VFX work wins Emmy for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

How to win iTunes Festival 2014 tickets: See Pharrell Williams, Ed Sheeran, Paolo Nutini, Kylie &...