We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Upgrade to Windows 7 from XP

Ankermi

Likes # 0

XP 64 bit. All up to date with service packs etc. AVG Internet

Have a desktop computer operating XP. Bought a Windows 7 Upgrade disc.

Have backed up all data etc to portable hard=drive.

Put in CD and closed computer down and re-started. Message saying "not compatible" so started it in BIOS as per Microsoft instructions on upgrading.

That comes up ok with menu showing a list of options to start (top one being floopy drive!). However my directional keys will not allow me to move down the menu to click on CD/DVD drive to do anything.

Am I doing something wrong, I am elderly and a complete novice on how to upgrade so simple answers please. Thank you.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

You might get the temporary boot order screen up if you keep tapping F8 on booting. See if you can, then select the CD drive that way.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Try with pc up and running XP then insert the W7 upgrade DVD and choose 'Custom Install' (that's Microsofts terminology for sit back and wait and W7 will do any shutting down and rebooting necessary now it's checked you've got XP so you qualify for installing with this W7 upgrade')

See step 3 http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7

Like this post
Ankermi

Likes # 0

Hi, thanks for the response. I have already followed MS instructions re puttting disc in and it will not open, get an error message saying not compatible with my version of Xp. I am trying to load W7 64 bit disc to upgrade XP 32 bit. MS site says this is possible but might be necessary to go into Boot menue and highlight the CD/rom drive so that the computer loads from the disc (w7) and not the hard drive. My problem is that I am unable to change the highlighted floppy drive to the cd rom drive as the directional keys will not work. Any further thoughts please.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

It could be that you're using a USB keyboard. Do you have one with a ps/2 connection to try? That's the round connector. That might allow the cursor to move in the bios.

If you're successful here's a link to do a clean install with upgrade disc, http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/31402-clean-install-upgrade-windows-7-version.html

Try option 4, If option 1 doesn't work. Don't allow Windows update to be on automatic during installation.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Ah right, the problem you have is the BIOS and setting it to boot from CD so that you get the 'press any key' prompt.

Which BIOS is it? (AMIBIOS, PHOENIX, AWARD, etc) it may be that you are not selecting properly at the last bit and so ending up with not being able to move boot order. Do your up/down arrows work okay until you get to the last bit?

Need to know what version BIOS you have so we can look up exact instructions to change boot order.

What is the boot order at the moment?

Like this post
Ankermi

Likes # 0

Morning Lotvic

Crickey. OK then will have a look in the booklet as I do not know what it is or where to find it, told you I was old and crinkley!

Am leaving for the airport shortly and am away for a week from today so will be silent until my return.

Thank you so much for helping me.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

When you see bios screen it tells you at the very top which bios it is.

or even easier in XP (32bit): Click on Start — Select Run. Type msinfo32 and press on Ok button. You can see BIOS version in righthand side system information window.

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

What sort of keyboard do you have?

Like this post
Ankermi

Likes # 0

Hi Lotvic and Honda Man,

First off I have a Microsoft wireless multimedia keyboard 1.1.

Lotvic have run computer as per insturctions and have the following data

BIOS version date "Award Software International Inc.F2 07/03/2008"

SMBIOS Version "2/4"

Await further guidance

Many thanks

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I suggest you get a cheapie wired keyboard. It's notorious that wireless keyboards don't always work with BIOS.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 30 best TV shows on Netflix UK: Our pick of the best programmes you can watch right now

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review (2.6GHz, 128GB, mid-2014)