We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Pre installed Windows 7 problem

AsterixGR

Likes # 0

i had a damaged hard drive on my acer aspire 5336 so i replaced it.My problem is that when i moved house i lost the recovery disk i had made and the laptop was with the windows 7 pre installed i have the microsoft sticker whith the product key on my laptop but when i called acer to request a recovery disk they told me to pay £50. Is this legal i understand that my laptop is out of warranty and thats why i bought my self the new hard drive nut why to pay for the windows? This is not fair i think if you consider that few years ago when you bought a laptop it was coming with windows oem disc in the box so i wouldn't have to go through all this plus that i can prove the originality of my windows that were pre installed.. PLZ anyone that can give any advice on what i should do?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

No problem just burn your own for free. The official Microsoft Direct download links http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/14-windows-7-direct-download-links scroll down the page for the English USA Windows 7 Home Premium x86 SP1 U (media refresh) 32bit and/or Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 U (media refresh) 64bit .iso file and burn the iso to DVD using free ImgBurn or similar free program.

Be aware when you click on the green links the download starts and that's it :)

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

The Windows installation on your laptop was an OEM version, and technically your licence isn't valid for a new, retail version. The download location posted by lotvic appears to state that your OEM key will activate a new installation however.

Digital River - the download provider - is a well known and highly respected service provider.

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

As the FE has pointed out you can dowload but you may need to phone microsoft to activate, even then you may have to pay because your original was OEM.

As far as I am aware most makers charge for supplying a set of recovary discs, which is Legal,the Prices vary so not sure if this will be cheaper if you have to purchase a full licence for a downloaded version

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'