We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

acer laptop cannot detect wireless network

breadwinner

Likes # 0

I have acer laptop running vista up to date with all updates. Suddenly stopped seeing any wireless networks. Has internal atheros ar5007eg wireless adapter. I have updated drivers, it shows in device manager and says device is working but no wireless networks are visable. I bought a netgear n300 usb adapter as a work around and loaded drivers as per setup but then usb cannot be detected. I have tried different usb ports but still the same. Is there something in the laptop that can cause both of these problems. I thought using an external adapter would overcome this but it hasn't. Thank you

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Have you checked in SERVICES to see if WLAN is turned ON? The Service may need restarting.

Like this post
breadwinner

Likes # 0

Yes thanks, done that

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

And was that the problem?

Like this post
breadwinner

Likes # 0

Sorry, no it was'nt, problem still there

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

I don't have wireless but if no adapter showing have you tried setting up a new connection?

Like this post
breadwinner

Likes # 0

Yes I have done that. Still will not find a network

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

There should be a switch normally on the front edge of the laptop - have you accidentally turned this OFF?

Like this post
breadwinner

Likes # 0

I cannot find a switch and there is no mention of one in the manual

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Well there is normally a one on all laptops with a light to say when it is on or off. I assume you are using Windows 7 and if so have a look here enter link description here

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Sorry I see you are running Vista but the principle is similar. Are you sure you have updated with the correct driver?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...