We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How do i install windows 7 64 bit over 32 bit?

cromwell123

Likes # 0

I purchased a copy of windows 7 and it came with two cds,i installed the 32 bit first as that is what was on my pc,(xp),i realised i could install the 64 bit as my machine was capable having 4gig of ram,but i am not able to install it,when i press setup on screen a window pops up saying it cant be done and to contact the publisher(or similar)i am fairly new to computing and i am out of my depth,thanks .

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

You can't install windows 7 64 bit over 32 bit. You can't launch the 64bit setup from within 32bit.

You have to start from scratch and boot from the 64bit DVD and do a clean install. If there are any files you want to save you will have to move them off to an ext drive or you will lose them.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Run double driver first to copy all your drivers. Personally I would only copy non Windows drivers and not copy your graphics drivers. The last two will be installed via updates. Copy all your documents, emails (if not web based) and your browsers bookmarks/favourites along with the usual (music, photos etc. to disc. You can do this on a USB flash drive or CD/DVD. I prefer CD/DVD. Insert Win 7 64-bit disc, cancel the loading of it, reboot and either go to bios or tap an F5 or possibly F8 key to select temporary boot order. Boot from CD when you get the "PRESS ANY KEY TO BOOT FROM CD" showing when booting. Forget the difference between CD and DVD here. Check your manual for how to get to temporary boot order. If you only had a digital manual on XP then, if you haven't saved that for your mobo you'll have to search for it.

Like this post
cromwell123

Likes # 0

Thanks lotvic,will give it a try,i have got my pc backed up on an external drive using acronis,so here goes.

Like this post
cromwell123

Likes # 0

Thanks rdave13,for your information,i will have to boot from cd,as i have to go into my computer to access the dvd drive.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

You do not access your optical drive within Windows. You access your drive via Bios or tapping the F8 key. Insert the 64-bit disc in your DVD player on the PC. Press the SHIFT key to stop it booting. Reboot the computer and keep tapping the F8 key. You might be lucky and come to a screen with a temporary first boot list. Select the CD drive and press OK. If that fails then shut down again and reboot again tapping the DELETE key, in bios select the DVD/CD drive as first boot. Save and exit. The PC will reboot and the option to press any key to boot from CD drive will show. Press any key.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If that seems too complicated then try a custom install using your 64-bit disc, click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......