We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Scammer has disabled our security systems on desktop after he was given remote control(!!)

orangeclaw

Likes # 0

Scammer was given remote access to our computer - then put a password block on restarting and said we had to pay £170 for 'microsoft' package to clear 'viruses' before we could restart with his help! Computer was shut down and I managed to restart off F12 key and restored to earlier point. All security systems were disabled by scammer (Windows and Bitdefender), now they will not activate again!! any ideas? Thanks.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Personally I'd backup all my documents, favourites and emails, etc checking them for malware, then I'd do a fresh install. I would also change all my passwords as the scammer had access to all your info on the machine.

Like this post
orangeclaw

Likes # 0

Right, we've changed passwords. Now have Windows security and Bitdefender working and giving green light. Did full scan with Bitdefender and nothing showed up so hope that's it. Thanks.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon, Argos, eBay,...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers