We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

can't get past log in screen

digiman100

Likes # 0

I might have accidentaly deleted something i shouldn't have done. When I boot up mylaptop with Vista home premium it gets to the click on account screen but when I select my normal account it goes to "welome" and then to "logging off" it then comes back up with the select account screen again. I can't try the "credential manager" icon as it is so long since I used it I have forgotten the password to enter the wizard

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Did you have a virus by any chance? It may be that the registry has become corrupt.

You could try a System Restore in safe mode.

Restart your computer. When the computer starts you will see your computer's hardware being listed. When you see this information start to gently tap theF8 key repeatedly until you are presented with theWindows Vista Advanced Boot Options. Select the Safe Mode option using the arrow keys. Then press the enter key on your keyboard to boot into Vista Safe Mode. When Windows starts you will be at a typical logon screen. Logon to your computer and Vista will enter Safe mode.

You then need to return the system to an earlier time

This article takes you through the steps.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad