We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Change login screen picture

gingles88

Likes # 0

Can anyone please help me change the login screen picture , I have followed the instructions on google and when I click Find on the OMEBackground no files appear and then I'm stuck, there are no Instructions that I can find for that???

Like this post
jamieamunra

Likes # 0

Step 1: Open the Windows Start menu and enter regedit into the search bar.

Step 2: Right click on HKEYLOCALMACHINE and select Find.

Step 3: Search for OEMBackground, which should be in Computer\HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\Background. If the key does not exist, add a new DWORD value with the name OEMBackground.

Step 4: Double click on the entry OEMBackground, and change the value from 0 to 1. Step 5: Open Windows Explorer and go to the following path: %windir%\system32\oobe.

Step 6: Create a new folder named info, and open it.

Step 7: Create a new folder within info named backgrounds.

Step 8: Rename your desired wallpaper as backgroundDefault.jpg and place it inside the folder backgrounds (images must be less than 245KB in size).

Now reboot and you should be good :)

Like this post
gingles88

Likes # 0

I have done that but nothing happens when I search OEMBackground ?? I've tried double clicking on background but nothing comes up there are no files in the background file??

Like this post
jamieamunra

Likes # 0

Sorry I don't follow, which step are you having problems with ? Where are you searching for OEMBackground ? Its a Registry Key so you'll have to press windows key + R then type regedit now go to Edit then Find and type OEMBackground

Like this post
jamieamunra

Likes # 0

If the key is not in the registry you'll need to create it, just go to Regedit then go to \HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI and right click and create a new Dword then change the value from 0 to 1

Like this post
jamieamunra

Likes # 0

hey Buddy, my bad, the image should be named backgroundDefault.jpg then lock or log off and you should see the new image. Make sure it's not larger than 512KB

Like this post
jamieamunra

Likes # 0

hey Buddy, my bad, the image should be named backgroundDefault.jpg then lock or log off and you should see the new image. Make sure it's not larger than 512KB

Like this post
jamieamunra

Likes # 0

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

jamie - do you not have a user name? It is not good practice to use your e-mail address on Forums for obvious reasons.

Like this post
gingles88

Likes # 0

Hey cheers man I'll try it today and hopefully it works, I have been searching in the registry and I did try and make a new Dword but it hasn't worked so far???

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

I hope that you saved a copy of the registry before you started making changes to it. Getting it wrong could cause you not to be able to boot up.

www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/4230-registry-backup-restore.html

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Gear S (Solo) curved-screen smartwatch confirmed: release date, price and specs UK

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

Apple 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review and the mystery of the processor benchmarks