We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

moving programs to new computer

Billp64

Likes # 0

Hi, Have old Dell 4600 which duels boot Xp and Win 7 although only use win7 now. I am thinking of buying new machine to be faster, is there an easy way to transfer programs from old machine to new when some programs were bought online so no disks etc. I need some of these to work as they do now so need to be able to transfer all without problems. Any help or suggestions appreciated, being retired now I do have reasonable computer knowledge. Thanks Bill

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Nontek

It certainly says that it can but I must admit I would not like to trust it completely so my apologies. I stopped using Acronis a few years ago as it became more bloated with each upgrade, now with an SSD it is simpler cleaner to do a reinstall of Windows 7 I find. I do not even bother with system restore once I have installed Windows and programs and done my tweaks.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Chronus

Apologies not needed, but thanks anyway. I always have the latest paid-for version of Acronis, usually get a decent enough discount when upgrading.

I like to feel secure with my Full backups on an external drive, since the year 2000 I have only needed to do a full Restore once, but once bitten - twice shy, as they say! Currently have True Image 2013.

I only ever make FULL backups!

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

john bunyan

Have a look again at Billp64's entry Yesterday 2.43 - Win7 to Win7!

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Nontek

Sorry,I mis- read it. I do a clone from time to time, and a full image more frequently using Acronis in W7 so Billp64 should have no problems. I much prefer to keep up to date as the problem with a complete reinstall of all programmes is the volume of updates.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

john bunyan

I have slipstreamed SP1 into both my 64BIT and 32BIT flavour Windows 7 setup disks. I have the latest drivers for GPU printers ETC ready and waiting. I use Ninite to install my common programs and install the rest as and when I need them. Start to finish including moving all the My folders and tweaks a little more than a couple of hours.

But each to there own. I bought and used Acronis in 2006/9 perhaps but each year since it has become more and more bloated with extra software most of us will not use. I prefer simplicity in all my software.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

When you downloaded the programs - did you save them in your Downloads Folder and then install from there? I presume you got the product keys via email?

If so then you still have the programs installation package .exe and can save them to DVD or usb drive. Then install on new pc.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The best iPhone 6 alternatives: Price and specs compared with the best smartphones

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...