We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

moving programs to new computer

Billp64

Likes # 0

Hi, Have old Dell 4600 which duels boot Xp and Win 7 although only use win7 now. I am thinking of buying new machine to be faster, is there an easy way to transfer programs from old machine to new when some programs were bought online so no disks etc. I need some of these to work as they do now so need to be able to transfer all without problems. Any help or suggestions appreciated, being retired now I do have reasonable computer knowledge. Thanks Bill

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

You will need to reinstall them onto the new PC I am afraid to say as they will need to integrate with the new OS. What programs are you talking about? If you bought them online and you have the necessary activation codes etc then in all likelihood you can re-download them.

Programs that you cannot get then there is likely to be a free alternative you can download.

This is a useful program for installing popular software most of us use these days.Ninite.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

This might not work for all your required programs, but it certainly will for most of them - I have recently done the very same thing by moving programs to a DVD using a R/W disc then copying to new laptop. Being R/W you can use the same DVD many times.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

PS - I went from XP to Win7.

Like this post
Billp64

Likes # 0

Do you know if Laplink PC mover will do this as the programs are not the usual buy in shop as they are to do with horse racing so not commercial as such. It would be win7 to win7 transfer just new hard drive wonder if anyway using usb transfer.

thanks for help so far.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I have never used the software you mention so cannot give an opinion.But it seems to have fair reviews,it might be the way forward for your particular problem.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Acronis Clone is probably the best way for Old to New hard drive, that way everything is taken care of.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Acronis Clone is probably the best way for Old to New hard drive, that way everything is taken care of.

Except that all the drivers for the components will be totally different and will cause all sorts of problems.

Like this post
Billp64

Likes # 0

I think this needs more investigation before I order the new machine. Thanks for your kind help. Bill

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Chronus

Latest version of Acronis now makes Cloning to a different PC possible!

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Nontek. Yes but only with the same OS. If Billip64 is switching from XP to W7, he will have to install programmes from original discs as Chronus suggests.Data can be copied easily, but not programmes.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......