We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New Laptop No Operating System

Demora

Likes # 0

I have just bought a new laptop Without Windows 7 installed, as I had a brand new version of Wn7 Professional.

My question is:

It would appear that the Hard drive has been partitioned and that is 29+ gig. The other Partition is about 470 gig. I installed windows to the bigger half but the other partition doesn't show. Should I have put windows on the 29 gig. part. and if so how do I uninstall from the bigger one/

D

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Either format it, or delete the partition(s) and start again making them the the size that you want. You should be able to do this from the W7 DVD.

Or if you have a program on CD/DVD like Acronis you can boot with that and do it.

I hope you got supplied with all the drivers you need for the laptop?

Must admit I am curious if there is anything on the 29GB drive - seems a strange arrangement.

Like this post
Demora

Likes # 0

The smaller drive is Unallocated from what I could tell in win7... I think it had just been done that way ready for making a recovery partition perhaps. But I ordered it from Novatech without the O/S

I have a driver cd and will format and start again tomorrow now.

Thak you Lotvic. I'll be back !!!

D

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Can I suggest you put W7 on a 100GB partition C: (and any programs you later install) and have another partition D: for your Data documents etc. It makes backing up via an image (Acronis for example) so much easier, and restores easier too should you ever get a virus/malware or a stubborn program that won't uninstall etc.

Like this post
jamieamunra

Likes # 0

Hey Buddy, just go to Computer management by right clicking on My Computer and choose Manage. Now go to Disk management, do you see the missing 29 GB partition there?

Like this post
jamieamunra

Likes # 0

If you see the missing 29 GB , right click on the C drive and choose shrink Volume, then enter the amount you want to shrink it by. Then you will have X amount of unallocated space that you can then convert to a new volume.

Like this post
jamieamunra

Likes # 0

If you see the missing 29 GB , right click on the C drive and choose shrink Volume, then enter the amount you want to shrink it by. Then you will have X amount of unallocated space that you can then convert to a new volume.

Like this post
Demora

Likes # 0

I have put Win 7 on the 500 hdd and left the other alone because its is a 32gig Solid State drive. Acording to Novatech this is used as an extra 'Cache'

Now for the configuring I haven't a clue but things are up and running smoothly

Thanks for the help and pointers. I shall partition the 500 gig drive at another date.

D

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...