We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

magic desktop

conrail

Likes # 0

using win 7 home premium sp1 64bit, been having a look at possible programs for granddaughter and came across a program called 'Easy bits for kids, magic desktop', after trying it I have decided I want rid, unfortunately the start menu option does not have an uninstall option, ccleaner and windows program & features does not show it, so after backing up my registry I deleted all references to it but it is still showing on my desktop and still works so deleting the desktop icon wont rid me of the program, I have tried reinstalling it but it tells me it is already installed and to use the program to repair or uninstall option but I have no idea on where that option is, the program is 109 Mb in size, 120 Mb disk size! with 4428 files in 882 folders, please help me get rid of this program, all help and advice appreciated

Like this post
conrail

Likes # 0

thanks difarn & John, neither program saw magic desktop, I guess I have 2 options, 1) ignore it, 2 format & reinstall everything. thanks for all help and advice, I appreciate it, again many thanks

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

I'm wondering if you reinstall it so that it repairs itself and then use Revo Uninstaller or CC Cleaner whether this will work - if you are brave enough.

If you have your windows 7 disk, instead of a full reinstall you could try a repair install - instructions here.

Like this post
conrail

Likes # 0

thanks difarn but when I try to reinstall the program it tells me it is already installed but for some reason it is not showing in any uninstall programs and I have tried all suggested here, I am currently making a note of all programs I have installed and copying files to an external disc then I might do a reinstall of windows, this will be from recovery partition I don't have a disc

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

conrail , be careful with uninstalling this program. I remembered that this magic desktop was on my partners HP laptop. The only laptop I've not done a fresh install to get rid of the crud you get with HP. I ran revo to uninstall and it found registry items more than any other files. After a reboot (second time?) it would boot to login screen but would not let anyone log in. The eternal busy circle was all I could get. Getting to last known good configuration repaired it but I would be wary. Have you not burnt your recovery discs for the machine?

Like this post
conrail

Likes # 0

thanks for warning rdave13, I have not created recovery discs, recovery option is on partition, I will create discs straight away

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Exclusive: Samsung exits laptop market including Chromebooks

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features