We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

magic desktop

conrail

Likes # 0

using win 7 home premium sp1 64bit, been having a look at possible programs for granddaughter and came across a program called 'Easy bits for kids, magic desktop', after trying it I have decided I want rid, unfortunately the start menu option does not have an uninstall option, ccleaner and windows program & features does not show it, so after backing up my registry I deleted all references to it but it is still showing on my desktop and still works so deleting the desktop icon wont rid me of the program, I have tried reinstalling it but it tells me it is already installed and to use the program to repair or uninstall option but I have no idea on where that option is, the program is 109 Mb in size, 120 Mb disk size! with 4428 files in 882 folders, please help me get rid of this program, all help and advice appreciated

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

I hope that this article will help you to remove this. It appears that this programme scatters files everywhere on your PC.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Won't the free version of revo remove it?

Like this post
conrail

Likes # 0

thanks difarn, that was very interesting, when I tried to download the link I received a site warning message but the program still installed, also thanks rdave13, have also installed revo free, problem is neither program shows either magic desktop or easy bits for kids so still can't find it anywhere to uninstall

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

I'm wondering whether this programme has disabled the "show hidden files and folders" and that is why they are not showing up.

start-control panel-appearance and personalization-folder options - click on view tab - under advanced settings click show hidden files,folders and drives - ok.

Like this post
conrail

Likes # 0

thanks for suggestion difarn but still not shown under windows programs & features or ccleaner

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Is it too late to use a restore point prior to installing this programme?

Like this post
conrail

Likes # 0

good suggestion John, never thought of that, unfortunately cannot remember when I installed it, just going through the start menu and noticed it there, unfortunately its just there as a stand alone program and not as a file, just surprised its not showing in programs and features or ccleaner, or the other programs I tried as suggested by rdave13 and difarn

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

If you look at one of the relevant folders in Windows explorer, it should say when created.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

This is proving to be quite puzzling.

I came across this article when browsing.

Is there anything there that you haven't tried?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

If you look at the link below there may be an answer.- there is a removal tool. I would make a restore point first in case of more problems.

Remove easy bits

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote