We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 not genuine?

rickf

Likes # 0

I have been using windows 7 ultimate for about 2 years. It validated Ok on installation then. Why am I suddenly getting the message " This copy Windows is not genuine" after installing updates yesterday on booting up?? Can anyone shed some light on this. I am loathed to have to install windows again. MS stinks. Any help appreciated

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Unfortunately this is not an uncommon problem. Have a look here.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

Chronus

Just out of interest, I clicked on that link and Malwarebytes lit up with a warning.

Have you had the same?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Certainly did not and this is a site I use regularly. One should not expect security programs are infallible,they have yet to be invented, one should always use a little common sense in these cases.But of course you can just Google activation problems and choose another site. As I said it is a common problem and there is plenty of info out there.:-)

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

Hi Chronus, Thanks for your input. I tried what was suggested and it has not worked. Still saying that my copy is not genuine. I shall persist looking for a solution as I belive my copy is genuine even though not bought from MS direct!

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

rickf

Try this.

You can reactivate your Windows 7 installation by performing the following:

1. Click on the Start button and in the Start Search box type in: slui.exe 4

2. Press the Enter key on your keyboard.

3. Select your Country.

4. Follow the instructions for phone activation (no charge).

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

Not being able to resolve the issue I have bought a new OS. But I am not allowing update and installation of KB 970133, I believe it is. Just unchecked it w/in a batch of new updates. I do feel aggrieved as I believe my copy of wins 7 was genuine.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I am puzzled as to why you bought a new copy as a phone call to Microsoft would have sorted it failing any other means.

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

Was like talking to a brick wall with them believing their system was infallible. Like trying to convince God he/she could be wrong.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Sorry to hear that, I have never had any problems even when I had a highly suspect copy of XP.

Like this post
HardyAlex

Likes # 0

I also had a similar response with my system. Have tried a lot of ways to get the condition back. but it get worse as days pass on. Even my desktop went black and is not showing a single wallpaper. The popup window appears each and every minute. I am just tired up due to that. Then I contacted a computer service center near my city(Toronto). They told that either i should insert a valid product key or should reinstall the OS. I took the second option and turned the windows updates off.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...