We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

MS Office 2000 Incompatible

jimforrest

Likes # 0

I have a new laptop running Win7 Home Premium. I also have another (older) laptop running the same. The problem is that although both are 64bit, the older one loaded and runs Office 2000 quite happily, but the newer one says it's incompatible! I have looked at all the compatibility stuff online and can't find an answer to two questions - 1, Why does one comp run it and not the other? and 2. How can I make it compatible? Any ideas?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Has your new laptop got a preinstalled trial version of Office 2007? If it has, I suggest that you uninstall it. Once you do that you may find that Office 2000 will run.

Microsoft support for Office 2000 ceased in 2009, since when there have been no security updates or fixes. Officially Office 2000 is listed as being incompatible with the 64bit version of Windows 7.

Like this post
jimforrest

Likes # 0

Yes Ed - it has a skeletal version of Office 2010 with no bells or whistles BUT it has adverts! Now, I might be forced to use it until I save up for a full version (which will be more than I paid for the laptop), so is there some way I can 'hide' it? I have run it once so it might now be embedded and removal may be the only way. Further searching on the 'net has revealed that if I have Win7 Ultimate (which I don't) I can download an XP compatibility package which should run Word 2000. Upgrading to Ultimate costs £120! Shafted or what?

Like this post
howard64

Likes # 0

I have w7 64bit and Office 2000 runs perfectly on it. I would take the previous sugestion and having done a restore point uninstall the trial version of office 10. Reboot and try installing office 2000 again. If this does not work then using add/remove progs delete the office 2000 stuff and reboot. Now type compatibility mode into the start strip and browse to office 2000 if not shown click on prog not shown and navigate to your cd drive and follow the instructions to install it as an xp sp2 prog.

Like this post
jimforrest

Likes # 0

Well done chaps - sorted (after a bit of fiddling about!)

Like this post
Aime

Likes # 0

There are things that will help you online to manage certain things to be compatible with the other laptop.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...