We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Win7 Administrator Rights

jimforrest

Likes # 0

I have just bought a shiny new Samsung Laptop with Win7 running on it. I have connected to my old Acer Laptop via the wireless network and it is transferring files across. For one file though it refused to copy it without the Administrator's permission! What the hell - it's my computer and it does what I tell it to do! (Except that it won't). How do I get rid of this stupid permissions thing chaps?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Window 7 permissions from Seven Forums. Should help.

Like this post
jimforrest

Likes # 0

Thankyou Rdave, that did the job and I copied the file ok. But what would happen if I just turn UAC off? I've been using computers since the days of Amstrad - so I know never to open a file without scanning and to leave System Files alone etc. I really don't need nannying.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

What UAC? ;) It's been 'off' on my PC since day one. Sometimes not enough though.

Like this post
jimforrest

Likes # 0

OK - I set UAC to zero - got the usual warnings about how I'm now vulnerable to cyber nasties, shark attacks, carpet bombing etc - but we'll see!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

How to watch the Windows 9 launch event: no live video stream so catch our Windows 9 launch live...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK