We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Backup not working in Windows 7

Throbber

Likes # 0

My windows backup has suddenly stopped working. I keep getting this message: "Check you backup. A shadow copy could not be created. Please check VSS and SPP application event logs for more information. Details: insufficient storage available to create either the shadow copy storage file or other shadow copy data." My PC hard drive is 300GB, and the extenal drive target is 2TB, with 1.74TB available. The backup has worked fine for months. Any ideas?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I have no solution to your problem but simply state that I have had similar problems and have abandoned the Windows back up and now use Acronis.

Like this post
Throbber

Likes # 0

Thanks for that information, Woolwell. If I can't find a solution here, I may well do as you have done.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

You may find this article useful.

Like this post
jamieamunra

Likes # 1

1- Click "Start," "Control Panel," "System and Maintenance."

2- Click "Administrative Tools." Double click "Services" and type your administrator's password when prompted.

3- Verify that VSS and SPP are disabled by seeing if the check mark is in their boxes next to "Enabled." Double click VSS and SPP to open their service properties.

4- Click "Startup Type," "Automatic (Delayed Start)," "Apply."

5- Click "Service Status," "Start." This will enable VSS and SPP to function again.

Like this post
Throbber

Likes # 0

Thanks, jamieamunra. Followed your advice as far as I could, and did as suggested for SPP. However, VSS does not appear in the list of services. Might it be called something else?

Like this post
chunhat

Likes # 0

Like this post
michmcma

Likes # 0

throbber: It is listed as Volume Shadow Copy instead of VSS

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft smartwatch release date, price and specs rumours: Launching within a few weeks

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...