We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

64bit, will it still run 32bit stuff

imarcus2

Likes # 0

If I upgrade to 64bit, with new kit. Will it compromise the normal (I presume) 32 bit stuff Ihave in abundance?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"upgrade to 64bit" You have to do a clean install if going from 32bit to 64bit. You will lose all data on the harddrive and have to reinstall all your extra software programs. I believe 95% of 32bit programs will run okay on 64bit.

Run the advisor and it will tell you what will be okay. There are two tabs info for 32bit and info for 64bit, so you can compare what you have on 32bit with what will be okay on 64bit.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor (info page with link to download)

and here you can check individual programs etc for compatibility

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-gb/Default.aspx

Like this post
imarcus2

Likes # 0

Iotvic

Many thanks for that advice. Having to upgrade to new kit as 7 year old PC has terminally stumbled, so it's a clean sweep job.

Imarcus

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Before making the move to new kit, you could save all your Docs/Pics and any other important stuff to an external hard-drive or to DVDs, so that you could replace them onto your new setup.

This is exactly what I did in the same circumstances a few months ago, having bought a shiny new laptop to replace my aging desktop.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Keep you old Harddrive (if it's ok) if getting new pc, then you can just connect it to new pc as an extra drive for storage and delete the Op sys (but keep your Documents Data).

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...