We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Re: Windows 7 on SSD and Component Drivers

eskimo7
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi all I want to install win 7 on and ssd do i load the driver for the gpaphics, sound e.t.c onto the ssd as well and do i need to load the the anti-virus on there i am using a normal hard drive for programs and storage ??

Thank you

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 1

What you install on your SSD is partly dependent on how big it is. Personally on my 120Gb SSD I have installed the OS, all the drivers and all my regularly used programmes. On my SATA main drive I have all my documents, videos pictures etc and a few oddball programmes that I am trying out and may want to remove later.

Like this post  
chub_tor

Likes # 1

You may also want to read this link

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 1

Yes you load everything as normal,your operating system,drivers and programs.What you should do to make life very easy is move all the MY folders (Music-documents-Videos-Pictures) to your storage drive.

This will show you how. This is for the My Documents folder but it is exactly the same method for the others.Doing this will mean you will not fill up your SSD quickly. Do this before you install any programs as some programs load folders to the My Documents folder.

Install your programs as you would normally to the C:Drive (SSD) and you are good to go.

I have a 128GB M4 SSD and two 1TB HDD's, one has all my docs ETC, and the other has my Steam games folder and other games.

Like this post
eskimo7

Likes # 0

Thank you both for your replies, very very helpful and thanks for the links as well.. answered all my concerns

very much appreciated, Eskimo7

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 deals: Find the best contract for your new iPad

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...