We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Latest Windows 7 Updates Problems

250diesel

Likes # 0

Today 18/8/'12 I received notification (in notification area) of Windows 7 and Office 2012 'essential' updates. These downloaded and when the automatic restart started the system completely locked. Windows Repair started and could not find a solution. I had to get onto system manufacturer to get running again (thank you Palicomp). I then tried again - download seemed to go OK but on auto restart > configuring Windows I got 8 updates failed message. On checking I found that Office updates had installed but all Windows 7 had failed. I tries again with same results > "Failure to configure Windows updates. Reverting Changes and an automatic reboot. I then ran 'Windows Mr Fix-It'. No change, Failure to configure Reverting Changes. Tried running 'Mr Fix-It' again and again installing updates - same results. I now have Windows Updates Available permanently in notification area. Anybody else had a problem with the latest updates? Or has anybody got any solution? All an any help appreciated. 250diesel.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I had to restart twice, eventually it was OK.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

This was posted to-day in the Tech Helproom if it helps

Like this post
250diesel

Likes # 0

Thanks for that difarn but not really applicable.

My problem is that the Windows Updates and Internet Explorer Updates just would not/will not install (Office Updates installed OK). They even crashed my system at the first attempt (see original post). Every time I tried/try - the last three times after using Microsoft's Fix-It tool - the installation failed/fails at the configuration stage and I got/get the message "Reverting Changes". My 'up dates installed' record shows over 50 failures. The 'Up Dates Available' icon still shows in notification area and 'Up Dates to Download' still shows in control panel.

250diesel.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Understood - I just posted to let you know that other people were having problems.

Perhaps you may have some success if you try to install them individually from the Microsoft site here.

Like this post
250diesel

Likes # 0

Thanks again difarn

I do appreciate why you posted.

The link you gave appears to be 'broken'.

I am going to 'hang fire' before trying to install again and do a web search to see if others have had same problem. I went to Windows Live Solutions yesterday but it was closed for questions, perhaps they were inundated.

Don't fancy downloading and installing individually - having to note and then find all the different numbers - much prefer to do it in 'one go'.

Have download a tool, shown and recommended on this page, that is supposed to fix Windows download problems but am loath to use it. PC Advisor do not take any responsibility for such ads that appear on their pages (got caught last year) so it could be anything.

250diesel

Like this post
250diesel

Likes # 0

Update

Just tried the tool that is shown/advertised on this page to - Fix Windows Update Problems: windows-update.helpcomp.com/ (Highly recommended)

This is 'scare ware'

On an 8 month old machine it reportedly found 568 problems and then wanted registration/purchase to fix them.

I shall try to report this to PC Advisor but as I said previously PC Advisor takes no responsibility for such ads as they are from Google.

250 diesel.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Strange about my link - it works fine when I click on it from my post above. Thanks for the warning.

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

I'm also having problems, and I only just reinstalled Windows7 on my PC 2 weeks ago. On reboot, system tries to reconfigure updates, gets to 15% and then gives up, reboots the PC and loads normally - but now takes much longer to get there. You might have expected that they tested these downloads first? Nah!! Hopefully they'll come up with a fix - oh yes its called Windows 8.

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

I'm also having problems, and I only just reinstalled Windows7 on my PC 2 weeks ago. On reboot, system tries to reconfigure updates, gets to 15% and then gives up, reboots the PC and loads normally - but now takes much longer to get there. You might have expected that they tested these downloads first? Nah!! Hopefully they'll come up with a fix - oh yes its called Windows 8.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

There are many people having problems, in this forum and on others.

Just came across this from Microsoft.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more