We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

There are 400Gb of 'unknown' files on my 500Gb drive

jollyjosh00

Likes # 0

My Computer indicates only 35Gb free on my drive, and dropping daily. WinDirStat shows 400Gb of 'unknown' files which I'm unable to delete (option greyed out). I have used various drive cleaners, done a chkdsk & a full system virus scan to no avail.........HELP please!

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

You may find this article of interest.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Should you find that WMP art cache is the culprit I have just come across this piece of advice:-

"I found an easier way (although it took about 12 hours to finally delete almost 30gb of .jpg files!).

I use Piriform's 'Ccleaner' and there is an item in the cleaner list called 'Custom Files and Folders'. If you check the box next to that, then go to 'settings' and 'include' and add the "windows\serviceprofiles\networkservice\appdata\local\microsoft\media player\art cache\localmls" to the list.

I removed the checks from all the other boxes in the cleaner list, then ran it. As I say, it took 12 hours to delete it all - but at the end of it, that folder is finally empty! When it finally finished, I rechecked the other stuff I usually clear out.

Now the advantages of doing it that way are that ccleaner doesn't stop responding with the task, which explorer did on my machine. Plus the setting is now there - no batch file necessary. It will clear the folder every time I run it."

Like this post
jollyjosh00

Likes # 0

Thanks difarn, I'll check that out

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Forgot to mention that you may need to enable hidden files and folders if your Art cache appears "empty".

Control - type Folder Options, click on and go into View.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Another suggestion is to download and use the free Treesize programme - quite useful anyway.Here it is:

Free Treesize

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 things we want to see in Android M: New features and fixes

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 release date rumours: 'iPad mini Air' will be 30 percent thinner than current model

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

This animated film reveals the importance of designing for everyone