We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Data Recovery After Accidental Delete

griffon56
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi All,

My Packard-Bell iMedia D2525uk running 64 bit Win7 comes as standard with 2 partitions, the C and the Data D. However, by default all stuff created is saved in a series of Libraries which is on the C partition.

Over the year or so I've owned the machine I've saved nearly all my stuff on the Data D partition, for obvious safety reasons! but noted that it seemed to be duplicated in the Libraries series of folders. In an attempt to prune the mass of duplicate folders I started backing them up and then deleting.

However, I made a mistake and, being presented with a dialogue box giving me a choice whether to permanently delete a folder too big to go in the recycle bin, I did so. The folder was on the Data D partition so I thought it wouldn't affect the duplicate one in the Libraries series, but it did and now I've lost all my documents.

Is there any method of recovering the lost data? I've got older backups but nothing to cover recent important stuff.

Hoping for the best.

Like this post
jamieamunra

Likes # 1

Hey there, Try using a recovery software like File Recover or O&O Unerase. In the future you might want to consider backing up to an external drive to avoid situations like this one. Good luck.

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

I have found this a life-saver in the past

http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Make sure you don't write anything to the D:\ drive until you have got your lost files back.

Good luck.

Like this post
Number six

Likes # 0

griffon56

As you may now have realised, data is not actually "duplicated" in your library folders. Libraries are merely a list of pointers, or shortcuts, which allow you to access all of your data from one convenient location (according to Microsoft!). Delete the original files on your D: drive, and their listing will also disappear from your library, as the file no longer exists.

Like this post  
griffon56

Likes # 0

Thank you all for your valued responses. I've used Recuva and successfully restored the stuff I thought was lost forever. It's a good program but I think it could be improved by including the list of file endings which can often be found in the setups of photo and graphics editors and other software but which seems to be absent from dialogue boxes like Properties when you need to refresh your memory on what to look for.

We all know the common file endings like .docx .jpg and so on, but when it comes to the more obscure stuff you get from drawing programs like TOT-CAD and music editing programs like Steinberg Clean there is no ready reference.

Does anybody know the suffixes for TOT-CAD 1 and 2 drawings by any chance? I know they're different and they're not JPEG's or MPEG's. I would be grateful for any help in this direction.

However, the storm has passed owing to the help I've had so far, for which thanks once again.

R

Like this post
jamieamunra

Likes # 0

Hey buddy try .dwg .dwf .cad for CAD files, and .cpf for your Steinberg Clean files. Good luck

Like this post
NehwalSaina

Likes # 0

Any single case of boot sector corruption, improper formatting of hard disk, damage in partition structure or accidental deletion of data can make your important data inaccessible. Kernel for Windows is a competent Windows recovery software that recovers data lost due to Windows registry corruption or unexpected system shutdown. It also successfully recovers those data which have been permanently deleted.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite