We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 Activation Problem Using Upgrade Disk

Assassin

Likes # 0

PC came with Vista installed (have disk). 2 months ago upgraded to Windows 7 by buying W7 Upgrade disk. Following recent hard drive failure I reinstalled W7 using W7 upgrade disk only. Now online activation system says they won't accept W7 activation code because I didn't reinstall Vista first. They say the W7 disk is for upgrading only. Can they make me reinstall my OS again, Vista first, then W7 upgrade? Or will they allow me to activate W7 as is? I have valid disks, licences and codes for both Vista and W7 and am using on only 1 PC. Surely they can tell that from their records of my PC's hardware configuration. Grateful for suggestions please.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

You could ring Microsoft to activate by telephone - this article explains how to find the appropriate number

Like this post
Assassin

Likes # 0

Thanks. I have the phone number. Do you think they can insist I reinstall the OS in "the right order"?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Have a look here for future reference.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

I think it is very possible that they will suggest that. I suggest that you look at doing a clean install as in rdave13 post.

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

Normally for an upgrade, the installation will ask you to insert the install disk of the older OS before starting an upgrade installation. Failing this, though, I would have thought they would accept you merely reading them the Vista product key?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

There are conflicting pieces of advice on this but I just came across this:-

Skip entering your Windows 7 product key and complete the installation.

Once you reach the desktop, click Start, right click Computer

Click Properties

Scroll down to Windows Activation

Click the link x days until activation.

Click the link that says 'Show me other ways to activate'

Enter your Windows 7 product key

Click Next

Select Phone Activation

Click Next when "Enter your key page" displayed

Select your country

Click Next, call the number listed

Remember to explain to the call agent your situation.

They will give you a confirmation ID, enter it

Click Next to complete the activation.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'