We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

SSD - do i need to defrag

tony-guitar

Likes # 0

This is a new pc. Win7, 120Gb SSD (primary C drive) 1 Tb Hdd (D), 16Gb ram. I've had it for about a month, and just wondering if i need to install a defragger for the SSD drive. I used to use Smart Defrag on my old pc and found it invaluable for keeping it up to any sort of speed. This one currently 'flies' and i wanna keep it that way. Thanks for any advice - Tony

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Simple answer ... No!

But have a good look at this ...

click here

Like this post
tony-guitar

Likes # 0

Thanks nontek, very interesting article.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Don't defrag your SSD. You also need to disable system restore so find a program that can create images of your drive. Some links that will help,

link1

Link2

Link 3

Link4

Link5

Link 6

Before you install Win 7 make sure AHCI, Advanced Host Controller Interface, is selected in bios. It can be selected after OS installation but requires a registry fix.

Well worth the speed.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Fire HD 6 is a really good value tablet. The Amazon Fire HD 7 isn't. Amazon Fire HD 6 and...

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

ACLU's Halloween-themed animation warns of dangers of ignoring threats to your privacy

IDG UK Sites

20 lesser-known tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert