We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows "old" folder

Cedric Harper

Likes # 0

Hi

I’ve recently installed Win 7 over Vista. It was a clean install as I couldn’t get the upgrade method to work. I now find I have Windows folder (9.97Gb) and a Windows Old folder (136 Gb).

Can I just delete the Windows old folder? I’m never going back to Vista so that’s not an issue here.

Many thanks

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

The short answer is "Yes" as long as you are happy with your new installation. I left mine for about a month before deleting it.

Like this post
Cedric Harper

Likes # 0

Many thanks

Just a bit nervous about deleting. If it's just the old Vista files I wonder why it's so large.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

Glad to be of help.

Actually, your question jogged my mind into action. My wife had been complaining recently (Ok, always!) that she was running low on disk space on her machine. Last night I checked up and found that I had forgotten to delete the .old folder after upgrading to Win 7.

At least she has now stopped complaining about that particular item.

Like this post
Cedric Harper

Likes # 0

Hi

Update:

Manged to delete it only by using disk clean up utility and then only by running as admin.

Many thanks

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 930 review: The flagship Windows Phone 8.1 smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Live Blog: Apple financial results, record June quarter, 35.2m iPhones sold, $37.4b revenue

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger