We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Creating original Admin's standard user account - sequence of steps?

polymath
Resolved

Likes # 0

I've been the sole user of this computer (Vista Home Premium SP2)for a while now, and have only just got round to creating my standard user account for day-to-day use (yes I know - not recommended! I got sidetracked by various troubleshooting; fortunately not including malware infection). Ideally I'd like the same data & settings in the standard account that the admin one has accumulated.

I know how to create a user account (I've done a standard one for another user, and know how to make its settings the default for further ones). And how to change account passwords and all that type of individual task. But I can't seem to see the wood for the trees. (I couldn't seem to find the right search terms - instructions seem to be aimed either at big companies' IT teams, or users afraid of long words). It's just a summary I'm trying to find (the chapter headings, so to speak). Any pointers?

Like this post
polymath

Likes # 0

Wow - this site's certainly on the defence against spam, isn't it?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

You will need to create a duplicate user profile with a different name.

This article explains the steps.

Like this post  
polymath

Likes # 0

Thank you difarn! Just what I was looking for.

I wasn't even sure before what a user profile is exactly! (I find Microsoftese a bit ambiguous sometimes).

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Good news - glad to help.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: Apple's new iPhone is bigger, better & faster than ever before