We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Why is Win 7 so slow on directories

clutch1985

Likes # 0

On my system, I have 3 hard drives:

1) Boot drive with 2 partitions 2) 500 GB drive with 3 partitions 3) 500 GB drive with 3 partitions

When use Explorer to opened a directory, it opens the directory, then it takes about 15-20 second for the green bar at the top to move across the top of the breadcrumbs bar before I can sort the files.

Why does it do that?

With Win XP I never had to wait for this.

Is this something I can change?

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Do you have any network drives (printer etc) that would normally show in "computer" and that aren't on or connected as that can slow the progress bar when looking just at the drives ?

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

I have the same problem most times and I have a theory which others might like to assess.

XP used to spend quite some time on boot up indexing the files which I don't think happens in Win7, and this may be at the root of the problem.

http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/windows-7-file-search-indexing-options/ may hold a solution

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

Windows 7 still indexes all files, by default, unless you choose otherwise.

Like this post
clutch1985

Likes # 0

Sorry for the late reply, but I have been traveling.

Xania - thanx for the link, it was helpful in understanding W7 indexing better.

I have no network drives, so I don't think that is the issue.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...