We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 - Random Freezes

dansos12

Likes # 0

For the past 5 months I've been experiencing my windows 7 to randomly freeze at least once a day. It will become unresponsive, the waiting icon (the little circle) will replace the mouse pointer and the only way out will be hard restart. Initially I thought it was either corrupted windows files or damaged hdd. Last week I bought myself a new hdd - 120gb SSD drive. I made a clean install on the ssd drive and I formatted my old hdd to use as storage. After few hours of using my newly installed windows copy I experience the same problem. It seems to happen a lot when uploading - for example it happens every time I try to upload a YouTube video. But not just that, sometimes it will randomly freeze upon launching chrome etc. I'm starting to think this might be a problem with my wireless network card. Any ideas? It's very annoying having to hard restart my pc at least once a day. Thanks for the help.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Can you try uploading,or whatever you think is causing the problem whilst connected to the internet via an Ethernet cable?

I might well be a RAM problem also. What make/model of PC have you?

Like this post
dansos12

Likes # 0

I will try that tomorrow. PC specs: MSI P31 Neo v2 Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q8200 4 GB ddr2 ram (not sure about fequencies or make - bought it from a friend) Evga Gtx 560 Ti 448 cores classified OCZ 120gb ssd WD caviar black 1tb hdd

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

There are all sorts of reasons why the software might freeze, many of them caused by badly written software, but also including your PC being busy doing other things (like downloading software updates), or even downloading a file video file from YouTube or a more dubious server. However, you should not need to close down your entire system to free up the problem. Pressing will bring up a list of all the processes you are currently running and all you need do is close the frozen process (it may even show 'not responding' as a guide, and you can carry on from there. What would be useful is to see if its always the same process that is causing the problem. You can then come back to us to see if we can help further. However, I notice that you have a quad processor and just 4 Gb RAM. This is the minimum for a multi-core processor if your Windows 7 is 64-bit, so you might want to consider another pair of 2GB RAM of the same speed as your current memory.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

xania

You have typed this? Pressing will bring up a list of all the processes you are currently running. You have failed to mention pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete if that is what you meant. I agree with the RAM issue also he does not mention 32 or 64 BIT Windows 7.

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

Ooooppps!!!

Thanks Chronus.

Like this post
dansos12

Likes # 0

I am running Windows 7 64 bit. When pc freezes it does not respond to ANYTHING. Not even ctrl+alt+delete. Nothing works. I can leave it there for hours and it won't unfreeze either. The ONLY way out is to reboot it.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Did you try what I said in my 02:28 post?

Like this post
happyhotspur

Likes # 0

I too am having the same problems, Ctrl/alt/del does not have any effect all I can do is manually switch off my laptop and restart. I have carried out a restore back to before I had the problem but still I get this problem. The only think I have changed lately is uninstalling Avast and going with Microsoft Essentials

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Chromecast deals aplenty as gadget turns one: Discounts and free music streaming

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

5 ways drones are being used for good