We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

net framework 4 update problem

imzy

Likes # 0

Hi there.

I am installing Windows Updates on my lapyop but it seems to be having trouble. When it gets to installing a certain update the system freezes and needs to be restarted.

The first time it happened it got stuck on UPDATE FOR MICEOSOFT NET FRAMEWORK 4. I had to do System Restore to get the laptop runnung again and this time I bypassed the 3 updates the had that heading but then in got stuck on SECURITY UPDATE FOR MICROSOFT NET FRAMEWORK 4.

Does anyone know why it is not installing these updates and how to fix the problem.

Thanks

Like this post
imzy

Likes # 0

When I try to uninstall the client profile the screem freezes again. I guess there is something seriously weong with the NET FRAMEWORK 4 but any idea how to fix it?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Next step - I have just read a blog about trying the net framework clean-up tool - here. - worth a try.

Like this post
imzy

Likes # 0

I am a little reserved about doing the Cleanup Tool because it says any changes I make will be permanent. I take it that meana I will not ne able to use System Restore if something goes wrong?

Just to confirm, after I do the cleanup I install NET FRAMEWORK 4 CLIENT PROFILE-STAND ALONE INSTALLER?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

I would replace what I was removing with the same thing so I would, as you say, reinstall net framework 4 client profile stand alone installer.

Like this post
imzy

Likes # 0

Thanks difarn. Will try tonight and keep you posted.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Good luck.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Just wondered if you had resolved your problem. There is a discussion a bout the same think on another forum to which I subscribe. There has recently been an update to the .Net Framework Repair Tool - this is the link.

Like this post
imzy

Likes # 0

Thanks for the tip difarn. I will give it a try. I have not used the clean-up tool yet as I have been trying to make a system image in case anything went wrong but it seem to take forever to do at it takes 6-7 disks to make it. Is that notmal? The link you have given me seems to resolve the problem that I have so I will give it a try and keep you posted.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

When you are using disks to make a system image it can take 6/7 of them and will take some time.

Glad to hear that things may be getting sorted.

Like this post
imzy

Likes # 0

SUCCESS!!! The solution difarn suggested seems to have worked. The program took roughly 20 seconds to do its magic and then I tried installing the windows updates that were giving me trouble and it installed most of them without any problems. There were a couple of updates that it wasn't able to download so I just tried restarting the computer and trying again and after a couple of attempts all the updates were installed. Thanks to difarn and everyboby else who helped with this problem. Bye.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......