We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

net framework 4 update problem

imzy

Likes # 0

Hi there.

I am installing Windows Updates on my lapyop but it seems to be having trouble. When it gets to installing a certain update the system freezes and needs to be restarted.

The first time it happened it got stuck on UPDATE FOR MICEOSOFT NET FRAMEWORK 4. I had to do System Restore to get the laptop runnung again and this time I bypassed the 3 updates the had that heading but then in got stuck on SECURITY UPDATE FOR MICROSOFT NET FRAMEWORK 4.

Does anyone know why it is not installing these updates and how to fix the problem.

Thanks

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Are you absolutely certain that it is stuck? I have found that all the Net Framework updates take ages to download and install - 30 minutes is not unusual.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Try uninstalling the net framework then reinstalling from the Microsoft site here.

Like this post
imzy

Likes # 0

The update has been stuck for about an hour and a half now. Should I give it more time?

If you think it might help. how do you go about uninstalling the Bet Framework?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

I would be inclined to try to do a repair first

Close any currently running applications.
Click Start, and type Uninstall in the Search box and then click Uninstall a program.
Double-click Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client

Profile to launch .NET Framework 4 Client Profile Maintenance dialog.

Select Repair .NET Framework 4 Client Profile to its original state and click Next.
Allow the repair to complete and then click Finish.
Click Restart Now to restart your computer.
You should then try to install the updates again.

If this fails then you can go through the first steps but do not choose repair but uninstall. You will then need to reinstall from the link I gave in my previous post.

Like this post
imzy

Likes # 0

Thanks difarn. Will give it a try. Let you know how I get on.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Good luck.

Like this post
imzy

Likes # 0

I tried doing the repair but just as it was about to finish it the screen froze again. Does this mean I should try to unintall and re-intall it?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Yes, I would try to do that.

Like this post
imzy

Likes # 0

Just a quick query before I uninstall. I am going to uninstall NET FRAMEWORK 4 CLIENT PROGILE and I am going to install NET FRAMEWORK 4, NOT NET FRAMEWORK 4 CLIENT PROFILE. Is that correct?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

I would uninstall the client profile that may have become corrupted and then replace it with another client profile - there is a stand alone version here.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more