We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Internet explorer unable to connect to internet

xuroys

Likes # 0

I have been having problems with my new computer running Win7 Ultimate and have had to do an upgrade install. Now IE8 and Incredimail are unable to connect to the internet although Norton, Windows, System Mechanic, etc.,can all download updates !! WTF is going on and how can I put it right ?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Try updating to IE9.

Have you tried another browser - Firefox for example?

Are all of your network adapter drivers up to date?

Like this post
xuroys

Likes # 0

Unforunately it isn't only IE8 that can't connect, neither could IE9 or Chrome. My incredimail can't send or download and gives me a "socket 87" notice. Cheerz, Baz

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Read the attached article and follow steps 1, 2 and 3, about troubleshooting, scanning for disk errors and re-setting TCP/IP connections that may be responsible for not being able to connect to the internet.

The socket 87 notice usually refers to not being able to connect.

Like this post
xuroys

Likes # 0

Thanks, Difarn, I got the techy from my computer supplier to sort it out and it as indeed a winsock problem which is partially fixed except that now, when I click and extenal link in an email, I get a page of htm code rather than the actual page !! I also found that a whole load of emails hadn't een kept on the Virgin site and I believe that Incredimail may have deleted them. HEERZ< Baz

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

It sounds as if there is a problem with Incredimail - can you try uninstalling and re-installing it?

Like this post
xuroys

Likes # 0

I already tried that and I used WindowsLive Mail which has done exactly the same thing. When I received the email telling me that this new message had been received I clicked on the link and got a huge page of html coding. Baz

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

We may be back to Internet Explorer which is used when you access your e-mail accounts. You could try IE9?

Like this post
xuroys

Likes # 0

The horrible IE9 is now installed and does exactly the same thing !!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Worth reading this thread. Possibly security software related.

Like this post
xuroys

Likes # 0

We will give that a try but I'm writing this on a Win7Pro 64 laptop with the same Norton program as the troublesome computer and (so far, I hope) this one is fine.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback