We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PB laptop will only boot after battery drained

Leanne2112

Likes # 0

My laptop wouldn't boot yesterday, the fan came on and the 'on' led came one, it beeped when I plugged in the charger but nothing on the screen and no post beeps etc. I let the battery drain fully, plugged it back in once it powered off and it booted fine. I shut it down last night and it did the same today on boot up, nothing. Again, discharging the battery fully brought it back. Would anyone have any idea what's causing this?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

You could try...

With a fully charged battery, take out the power cord, remove the battery and press the start button for 20 seconds, put the power cord back in, boot up the laptop and then put the battery back in.

Another thing to do is to replace the CMOS battery.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

difarn, "boot up the laptop and then put the battery back in"

did you really mean to say that?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Yes - the laptop should boot on mains power. I have a friend who did just this with a similar problem.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

That's not what I meant, It sounds as if you're saying to put battery back in whilst the laptop is on and running.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers