We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Too many administrators

The Bard

Likes # 0

My changeover from XP to 7 went relatively smoothly except for some administrator problems. Microsoft recommended setting up a new administrator account (administratornew) and transferring files to it.

I have now ended up with 3 administrator account - the original Xp, the new 7 and administratornew. Unfortunately the last still gives occasional problems with access permissions (mainly on system files) although I have given it full rights. Is there any way to combine all 3?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I assume you have a Dual boot system (Xp/7), perhaps if you delete the original Xp and 7 Accounts, you might then have just the new one, which you could rename to suit yourself - this might then cure the occasional problems in the new one.

Total guess only though, so first create a new system restore point!

Like this post
The Bard

Likes # 0

No, single (7) boot only.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

OK, so delete XP account and if it were me, I would also delete the 'new' account, just leave yourself with one account.

Having done that run Ccleaner, might fix a possible glitch in the Install of 7.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

It is always good practice to have more than one administrator account in case one becomes corrupt.

The attached article may help you to better understand Administrator Accounts and permissions.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S6 release date, features and specs rumours: When will the Galaxy S6 come out?

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...