We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

IE8 problem - is it getting worse

xania
Resolved

Likes # 0

Using Windows7 and IE8 32-bit I am constantly finding that the program stops responding and I have restore the last sesion, or worse still start again. Happens on both my home PC and my office PC, so its not the PC at fault. For example, today, trying to post this discussion took 8/9 restarts.

Anyone else experiencing problems?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

This issue may be caused by some 3rd party add-ons that you may have installed on both of your PC's. Try reseting the IE settings to disable add-ons:

Close any IE or Windows Explorer windows that are currently open.

Open a new IE window. Click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options.
Click the Advanced tab, and then click Reset. In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset. When Internet Explorer finishes restoring the settings, click Close, and then click OK.
Close IE. (The changes will take effect the next time you open IE.)

After that, please open IE again to verify if the issue has been resloved.

If this doesn't help....

Can I suggest that you try another browser such as Firefox to see if the problem still occurs.

You could also try rolling back IE8 to a previous version.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

You could also try rolling back IE8 to a previous version.

..or rolling forward to version 9 ;-)

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I have had no problems with IE9 - give it a try.(I agree with Pine Man)

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I have only just read this Post, but was about to suggest exactly the same as Pine Man and john bunyan!

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

Sorry - that was a typo PCs are running IE9. However, did try resetting every and then only running the add-ons from Norton and Google which has made some slight improvements - I do need these running at present. But I am seriously thinking switching to Chrome.

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

I forgot to mention that all my add-one were running for nearly a year withgout problems until about 3 weeks ago and then the problems started at home and more recently at work.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Just come across this on another forum that may help

Start Internet Explorer 9.
Click Internet Options on the Tools menu.

Click the Advanced tab, and then browse to the Accelerated graphics section. Click to select the Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering check box. Click Apply, and then click OK. Close all open Internet Explorer 9 windows, and then restart Internet Explorer 9. View the webpage in Internet Explorer 9.

Do you know if you had any IE9 updates that may have caused the problem?

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

Ah yes - I saw that one and confirmed that I was already set to Software rendering.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

How about trying a complete uninstall and reinstall of IE9 - it isn't done via the usual program route as it is installed as a Windows Update. This article gives instructions on how to do it. You can choose to go back to IE8 but you don't have to choose this option - instead you can reinstall IE9.

What is a little strange is that you are having the same problem on your PC's at home and at work.

You could consider a system restore.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Sorry to intrude but I have a small problem with IE9 and W7 64 bit. Recently Google Image Search hangs in IE9 - works in Chrome. it used to work. It is some setting within IE9 as I have uninstalled and reinsatlled with and without my blockers. I got it to work once but not permanently by fiddling with Tools/ F12 deveoper tools.Maybe a similar problem. Will post if I solve it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...