We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

my laptop turns itself off and starts up again immediately after being turned on...

lottielouise

Likes # 0

Hi, was wondering whether anyone can help me at all?

I've got a HP Pavilion g series laptop, which has recently, when being turned on, powering up as normal by turning the light of the power button on and lighting the screen, then quickly shutting these off again, and then continuing to turn on as normal.

It hasnt been doing this for very long, I have no idea whether it is a serious problem or not as I don't know anything about computers. I must add that I don't use my laptop with the battery in; I use it with the battery out as I mostly use it plug into the mains.

I just want to know whether this is a serious problem and if anyone can tell what might be causing it. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated,

thanks.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

As it has not been happening for long, try a System Restore back to before this started.

Failing that, go into Control Panel and check your Power Options to make sure all is OK there. Easier than it sounds, so don't be afraid to have a look, just read what you see on screen.

If the laptop is getting on a bit in age, check your Time/Date (bottom right-hand corner) to make sure the CMOS battery (also known as the RTC Real Time Clock battery) does not need replacing. You might need to get someone to do this for you if it needs replacing.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Well it certainly is not a software problem as you are no where near boot up when it powers of and on again. It would be useful to know how old your laptop is/ Does it do the same thing when you power on with just the battery?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Sorry just noticed you have posted in the Windows 7 forum so the laptop is unlikely to be very old.

Like this post
akzim4525

Likes # 0

Simple fix required here, your internal fans are probably clogged up with dust which causes your laptop to overheat then restart itself. Go get yourself some Endust Compressed-Air Duster cans and use this stuff to clean out that dust. You should be good to go after that.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...