We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Deleting files with names that are too long

misterslate64

Likes # 0

I have two .csv files on my desktop that have names that are too long, windows 7 will not let me delete them or change the names to shorten them, I can drag them around the desktop and that is about all I can do. Heelllpppp

Like this post
misterslate64

Likes # 0

Each file is 237 characters long not including the .csv

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

A Google search of the problem shows that some people have had success with Unlocker others have used the Command Prompt that is available in Windows.

Like this post
misterslate64

Likes # 0

'fraid Command Prompt nor Unlocker worked

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Read a blog that gave this solution:-

Make a shortcut to the recycle bin put the folder in there empty the recycle bin shortcut delete the shortcut

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

The file manager in free prog 7zip is far more powerful than Windows Explorer you could try that to delete them. http://www.7-zip.org/

In 7zip you just navigate to the file highlight it and click on delete.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

Try right clicking the file and changing the name to something shorter.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

A further search has come up with this suggestion......

*"Find the folder in question in Explorer, Shift-Right-click and select Open Command Prompt here. Type "dir /x" (no quotes) to reveal the short file names next to the long file names. Then "del" (no quotes) and the short file name."*

Good luck

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...