We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

amd Phenom ii 955 video card/memory problem

jwall

Likes # 0

Hi i have 2 Amd Phenom ii x4 955 at 3.20ghz stock not overclocked 2x 2gb DDR3 1333 MSI N210 1gb DDR3 graphics card

the problem being is the motherboard will not recognise the graphics card with the latest drives and older ones to test, the strange thing is if i take a stick of memory out it boots up in single memory mode and recognises the card straight away, likewise if i install another module to make it 6gb it fires up perfectly and plays CODMW3 no problem but if i am doing office work after about 30minutes the screen starts to flicker and black lines appear through writing then finally the BSOD comes up complaining about one of the graphics card drivers, dont get me wrong i have played COD for ages and not had a problem, i am at a bit of a loss i want 6gb memory ideally but the system becomes unstable, the system works great as an office computer with 4gb of memory but wont play videos or do video editing because it doesnt recognise the card. Any help would be appreciated.

Like this post
jwall

Likes # 0

yes

Like this post
jwall

Likes # 0

yes

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

OK and they are both having exactly the same problem?

What are the chances of that happening I wonder.

You said you were adding pairs of RAM so how do you get 6GB? I still think it is a ram issue. I suppose you could try a BIOS update but to be honest with the same problem happening on two PC's this is really strange.

Like this post
jwall

Likes # 0

because the pair is 2x2gb and 1x 2gb is a single added after to test the first 2 are as a pair and the graphics card is not recognised when just the first 2 slots are filled, if i add another module of 2gb so i have a pair and a single it boots up with 6gb of ram but doesnt stay on long until it crashes talking 30minutes max and the graphics card is recognised when i have anything but the 4gb as a 2xgb pair. i have 4x 2gb modules of ram exactly the same and have tried them as a pair of 4gb in each computer and both do not recognise the graphics card then either subtract 1 module of ram to make just 2gb and the computer works with graphics card that 2gb module i have tried 4x different ones with the same effect but pair them to 4gb and the computer boots but does not recognise the graphics card like wise if i increase to 6gb or 8gb the computer boots and recognises the graphics card and works for about 30minutes doing tasks such as outlook and publisher then crashes, im running windows 7 pro 64bit graphics driver updated to latest also windows updated aswell, thankyou for your help so far.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I don't think I have done anything to warrant your thanks. Your problem has got me beat. It has to be a hardware problem and I am almost certain that it relates to your choice of RAM. The fact that you have two PC's built exactly the same with the same problem I find quite incredible.

But I think this problem need a more hands on approach, I think someone needs to sit down with at least one of the PC's in front of them and try and sort it.

Though i am quite happy to give it more thought and I will ask about and see if anyone else can come up with a suggestion.

Like this post
jwall

Likes # 0

Thankyou Chronus any help is appreciated.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made