We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Laptop freezes when playing video

rob01424

Likes # 0

Hi,

Just recently my laptop has been freezing during video playback. The audio stutters or runs out of sync with the video, the video becomes grainy and jumping 3 or 4 seconds at a time. Just generally struggles to cope with the file. It varies as to how long this takes to kick in. Some times it's half way through a film, sometimes within a few seconds. Once it starts everything is painfully slow and I have to reboot. I've also noticed it takes much longer to reboot sometimes.

I checked in my programs and the Adobe Plug-in had an "X" over it so I uninstalled and then re-installed, thinking I'd found the issue, but it's still the same.

I've run AVG to look for viruses and also cleaned up the registry and so forth with other software but the problem remains. It only starts though when I run video files, this is what seems to start it.

Any help gratefully received.

Rob

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

The first thing to do is to check that your sound card and video card drivers are updated.

Sometimes laptops overheat and this can cause this problem. Does your laptop have adequate ventilation?

Is your laptop connected to the mains power when this happens as sometimes this can be due to lack of power.

Like this post
rob01424

Likes # 0

Hi there, thanks. As far as I'm aware I'm up-to-date with windows. Is there something separate I need to update besides that?

Like this post
rob01424

Likes # 0

Oh and everything else is fine. Power, cooling.....

I've uninstalled Adobe Flash completely as it's included in Chrome but I don't think that's relevant anyway because Flash is for things like YouTube. I think....

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

If you go to start and type in Device Manager then scroll down to sound video and game controllers - then double click to expand. Right click on each item and choose update driver software. Do any other drivers have a yellow question mark by them?

Have you updated the Chrome browser - Select About Google Chrome under the Tools menu to verify that your Chrome browser is up-to-date. (The wrench icon near the Chrome address bar indicates the Tools menu.) It can take some time before updates roll out to all Chrome users.

When you talk about video do you mean that you are trying to play a disc when the freezing happens? I am a little confused as you mention "video files". If you use a different browser then you will need to have Flash Player installed for that browser.

If you are having trouble playing video files such as BBC iplayer or from a website can I suggest that you try another browser with a newly installed version of flash player.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Make sure you have the latest Codecs for your system. You have not said what your OS is, but to get the up-to-date Codecs just Google 'latest Codecs XP' or whatever OS you are using.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Make sure you have the latest Codecs for your system. You have not said what your OS is, but to get the up-to-date Codecs just Google 'latest Codecs XP' or whatever OS you are using.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Sorry about double post! Dunno how that got there.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

The Samsung Gear VR is better than the Oculus Rift (kinda)

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: How to buy an iPhone 6 today