We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

pc keeps freezing and stuttering

sut1576

Likes # 0

hi guys

i have an issue with my pc and i am hoping you guys can help. i have an issue over the last 6 months or so that when i am on my pc it will keep freezing and stuttrting only for a second or so, it happens when i do things like launch firefox lauch origin browse through webpages. it happens alot when am watching movies aswell. when watching the film from my hd ( not disc ) all is fine untill it will strated to freeze for and stutter this can last for about a minute or so then it will suddenly run really fast to catch itself back up and again will run fine after that, the issue seems to be getting worse with the pc freezing and locking up more and more when just lauching my browser. my system is decent running i7 cpu 6gb corsair 1600mhz ram gigabyte ga-ex58-ud5 radeon hd5870 wd velociraptor hd thermaltake toughpower 600w powersupply.

does anyone have any idea what may cause this issue or any idea of a prog that i can download to test the components?

thank you for any help sut

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

My first thought is overheating, so I would check all fans particularly the heat-sink make sure they are dust free, soft brush and hoover does it for me. I would also suggest renewing the thermal paste between heat-sink and CPU.

Like this post
sut1576

Likes # 0

hi

i have checked all the fans and cleaned them all and all seems fine. plus i could understand the heat issue when gaming but from just booting up and launching browser it wouldnt have time to heat up enough to cause the issue.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

OK, what about seeing if you had RAM issues? You could run this Memtest. My apologies if I am suggesting things that you have tried already, but I find it sometimes helps to go through the simple stuff first, just in case. Another daft question your heat-sink is firmly situated, that happened to me once took me a while to realise.DOH.

Like this post
sut1576

Likes # 0

hi

running memtest now although not sure how to run it right lol. and no apologies needed at all i thank you so much for the help as this issue is driving me mad, i checked my heatsink about a month ago and all seems good.

is there any progs out that can test my hd and cpu? or can you think of anything else that may cause the issue.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Test your harddrive. Several to choose. Your harddrive maker will more than likely have downloadable tools on their support website.

As for your CPU. PCmark.

Like this post
sut1576

Likes # 0

thank you again. do i just run test of memtest or i run more than 1 test at the same time for each 2gig stick of ram. so would i have 3 tests running at the same time for each stick of ram? sorry if this is a stupid question,

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

My mistake this is the RAM testing software I should have linked to. Memtest86. I have never used the one I first linked to. Again my apologies.

Here is the manual for the first memtest.Manual.

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

You could also check your anti-virus and firewall status. Using more than one of each can cause problems as well.

Like this post
sut1576

Likes # 0

ran memtest and found no issues, ran harddrive check and no issues, and i cant find any overheating issues,

im stuck do youhave anymore ideas i could try,

thanks

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

This is certainly a puzzle, if it were happening to me what would I do? Being a PC builder I have plenty of spare parts kicking about so I would probably try another graphics card and/or do a fresh install of Windows and see if the problem still occurred.

But I suspect it is a hardware problem so reinstalling Windows probably would not help, but I would still do it as I have smallish SSD with my operating system on so it is a pretty painless process and at least it rules it out as the source of the problem.

Your problem is odd because it seems to be happening when you are really not doing to much with your PC. I will give it some thought and get back to you.

One thing I would add if you get a problem best to deal with it when it first happens not a few months down the line after it has got worse. I know I have done it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days