We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can I set default graphics card ?

Paul33

Likes # 0

I recently upgraded from XP to Win 7 Ultimate 32bit. I have always had two graphics cards - NVIDIA GeForce 7025 and AMD Radeon HD4300/4500 with the latter used to feed via HDMI cable to my Plasma TV.

Since the upgrade, the AMD card appears to be the default card and any attempt to run the NVIDIA Control Panel results in a warning that "You are not currently using a display attached to an NVIDIA GPU".

The PC functions okay but I've lost a number of controls I was familiar with via NVIDIA and I may also be losing performance too.

How do I get back to where I was under XP when NVIDIA was the main card ?

Like this post
Paul33

Likes # 0

I meant to add that both cards have drivers installed and both show as working in Device Manager.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I think you have to enter the Bios each time you want to change the default graphics card. A similar query is here: Graphics card

Like this post
Paul33

Likes # 0

I have searched the BIOS a number of times but can't find any reference to graphics card anywhere.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I cannot switch off my PC at the moment to see my settings. I am sure others will comment . Fruit Bat, where are you?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Maybe as there are few replies here, I suggest you Google: "How to select default graphics card in windows 7" or similar wording.There is a lot of advice out there.Maybe a expert will show up on here!

Like this post
Paul33

Likes # 0

I'm wondering if I'm really asking the right question here because all I want here is to run the desktop PC off the NVIDIA card but - on the limited occasions I need to - run the hdmi PC to TV link from the AMD card which has the necessary hdmi connection and on-board audio.

I must have been acheiving this under XP but how do I do that under Win 7 ?

I have an AMD control centre program that shows the two "monitors" and correctly identifies the 42" Plasma as one of them but all I seem able to do is duplicate settings across both screens which leaves me with massively too high resolution for my PC.

Any ideas ?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Perhaps post this in Helproom for a wider coverage?

Like this post
Paul33

Likes # 0

Will do !

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'