We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

External Hard Drive issue ???

Likes # 0

Hi you all out there. The issue I am having is with regards to my external Hard drive. of which I have four. I have a docking station and also have two 2.5 external caddies. When I have one plug in all is ok can read disc excess all files ect. however when I unplug one drive and insert another the previous disc is still showing in my computer and the second one I plug in not recognised have tried updating drivers refresh ect no joy any ideas folks.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Which OS are you using?

It sounds as if you are 'hot swapping' (unplugging one drive and plugging another in without using the 'remove safely' option) the external drive; if so try using the recommended way of removing an external drive and see if this cures the problem.

If this is not so, are you closing the drive window before removing the drive? Not doing so can sometimes cause this type of problem.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I have two additional SATA drives on W7 desktop mounted in removable caddies. They can be switched off with a key and pulled out on a slide. With XP they used to appear when I switced them on, but for W7 they have to be switched on before starting the PC. If you have yours connected at start up, do they show then?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

PS this does not apply to my USB HD's, which show when switched on , only the ones that are mounted as if slave drives in the tower.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do