We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Hard drive death - vista install

deets

Likes # 0

Hi I wonder if you can help me please. I'm not brilliant with pc's so please bear with me and be gentle!! My Son has an Acer media center desktop which was running Vista Home Premium. The system crashed (wouldn't boot past verifying DMI pool data) and due to buying the system 2nd hand, he didn't have any recovery discs, Original Vista recovery or system disc. He had also neglected to use the Acer recovery management console to create discs when he got it!! So, it was taken to the local pc repair shop who said they had to do a fresh install using a System disc. They said because the case has a licence for vista certificate stuck on it, they could do it. This removed the Acer recovery option for future use. The system has repeatedly crashed since and the same scenario plays out--the shop charges my son to do a 'fresh install'. I created a vista repair disc which kind of helps but the problem is getting progressively worse. The HDD, using chkdsk, is showing 4 bad sectors and it keeps losing the boot file image, or it becomes corrupt. Ive tried to back up his system but it keeps failing saying there is an I/O error preventing back up. So I thought of getting him a replacement HDD and reinstalling Vista operating system. I have access to a Microsoft Original Windows Vista Operating system disc. will I be able to use this to install the os and use his licence key from his tower case certificate/licence? thanks in advance.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

There are six versions of Vista - Ultimate, Enterprise, Business, Home Premium, Home Basic and Starter. Provided that the disc you have is the same version as the one presently installed you should have no problem in using it with the license key on the tower case. You may have to re-activate it with Microsoft after installation and sometimes they may give you a phone number to call if activation is a problem, but I have never had any problem if I have to do so. Just have a pen and paper ready when they give out the registration numbers over the phone.

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

Buy a copy of Acronis TrueImage or D/L a free copy of Backup software like EaseUS Todo and create a backup when the system is working OK. You will have to put the backup on a separate partition or preferably a hard drive. If you havn't got a USB drive,any drive larger than 100GB would suffice, larger ones are not too dear.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days