We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

desktop icons wont open with mouse

cheddon

Likes # 0

hi i run winows 7 and when i log in i can open the desktop icons for a while but then they stop working and the mouse wont open them or right click on them and neither can i right click on the open desktop as nothing happens. any ideas? ive tried a system restore no good. when i restart hte computer its ok for a few minutes then the same problem again.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Try going to power settings and change the plan to High Performance. Click change plan settings then select never for Turn off display and Put the computer to sleep. Click save changes. See if that helps.

Like this post
cheddon

Likes # 0

thanks for advising but its not that. i dont have a high performance option and a friend has identical laptop with same settings. thanks anyway

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If you have the time, before the freezing, type cmd in the start-search box. In the list that opens right click cmd and run as administrator.Type sfc/scannow in the cmd box and press enter. It will take a bit of time and hopefully will correct any errors if found. Once run type exit to close cmd.

Like this post
Barrington11

Likes # 0

I have Windows 7 Home Premium.

Two main problems I have had with Gadgets: 1) Vanishing Gadgets I think the solution was to Right click on the Desktop\Gadgets and if necessary 2) I have the following gadgets; Calendar, two clocks, System Mechanic, Norton Security and a weather 5 day gadget.

The weather appears to be an internet gadget. This means that if there is a problem with my broadband cable than it is disabled. What is strange is that the problem doesn't affect any of my other gadgets.

If it is a faulty internet problem (in my case with my Desktop) then nothing can be done until the internet connection is working properly.

However, if it isn't an internet problem, or you now have an internet which works properly, which in my case instead of having one weather gadget I had two over lapping each other when there should have only had one - My solution was to reinstalled the gadget: Right click Desktop. and I probably deleted the faulty gadget.

Hope it solves your problem.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote