We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Win 7 64 bit Epson Scanner

fpg

Likes # 0

The scanner is an Epson Perfection 1650 (some years old but OK with 32bit) but my searches have failed to finf a driver to work with Win 7 64bit. Has anyone a solution? With thanks fpg

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Although you have 64 it, some older programmes and devices install and work OK in 32 bit. They appear in C: Programme Files (x84). I do not have an Epson, but if you look here you should be able to download the right drivers, be they 63 or 32 bit. If the machine is a little old, they are likely to be the 32 bit ones but that should not be a worry.See here:

Epson W 7 Drivers for 1650

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Re your comments on TWAIN on your other thread. I have a Canon, but also like and use TWAIN. Not sure what photo programme you use, I have Photoshop CS5, about to upgrade to CS6. This installs in both 64 and 32 bit versions and only then 32 bit supports TWAIN, and then only with a PS TWAIN plug in. Do post back if this is the question.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I installed an Epson 1660 on W7 64bit without a snag using Vista 64bit. I had to use a different interface as the original software wouldn't work. But the bad news is that it was unofficial driver and the site that I downloaded from no longer exists. I am finding the same problem with the 1650.

Like this post
granpa geek

Likes # 0

VueScan Scanner Software for Windows 7, Mac OS X Lion, Linux ... www.hamrick.com/ have drivers to keep your scanner operating, W7 64bit etc. still using Epson Perfection 610. a trial period will give you time to use some creativity for continuous use without a fee.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

When you first connected the scanner to the PC you should have allowed it to go online and search for drivers. Both my scanner (Epson V500) and older printer (Epson Stylus Color 740) were automatically recognised and the appropriate drivers downloaded.

Like this post
fpg

Likes # 0

I have two posts with overlapping issues so first I have to correct my error - the scanner is a CANON 1650 not Epson like my printers. But the good news is that the help from the other post led th this respnse -

Thanks to all - I have follwed many links and one has been a SUCCESS ! rdave13 your suggestion to visit Vuescan was very interesting. I downloaded the program and had an easy install. It worked without any problems. So if Vuescan can write a Win7 64 bit driver that works with old scanners (Canon 1650) it does raise questions re the non-customer support policies of the large manufactures. A happy ending and thanks to PCADVISOR also.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

The manufacturer of your scanner is immaterial, the principle is what I was trying to get across by identifying similar equipment. W7 will automatically look for the correct drivers if you let it.

Like this post
cutegirl57

Likes # 0

Win7 will automatically look for the correct drivers if you let it!

Friv

Like this post
fpg

Likes # 0

Yes Johndrew but your Epson 700 series are more'modern' than the Perfection 1650. We know that Win 7 searches for the driver but it cannot find a Win 7 64 bit for a 1650.if the manufacturer refuses to create one. My point is that they should - workable scanners end in the landfill when systems are upgraded. An expensive unnecessary waste. If Vuescan can do it why not the manufacturers ? fpg

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do