We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

HD to SSD Win 7 transfer

fpg

Likes # 0

Will MS permit transferring Win 7 HP from a HD to an SSD drive - any licence difficulties? I want to do a clean instal. My Win 7 is OEM and came with the new Medion PC as an upgrade disk from the installed Vista All advice would be appreciated

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

No you will have no problems, it might be necessary to activate via the phone as opposed to online but this is simple and free.

Like this post
fpg

Likes # 0

Thanks for advice - Win7 64bit now installed. The remaining issue is with tne Epson 1650 scanner it seems to have no driver that enables it for Win 7 64 bit. I guess that this is not new. fpg

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

See other thread . Many devices only have 32 bit drivers and work ok on 64 bit machines, see here and on other thread.

Epson Drivers

Like this post
fpg

Likes # 0

Thanks John but I had visited this Epson site and have downloaded other TWAIN drivers but without success. I also tried the 1670 driver. I have now made a separate posting on tnis issue of 64bit non-compat problems.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Try a Vista driver if there is one.

Like this post
fpg

Likes # 0

Thanks Chronus, yes tried Vista but it is the 64 bit aspect that is THE problem. (Or Epson killing off oldish scanners to create a new market and so they will not write the needed driver)

Like this post
fpg

Likes # 0

CORRECTION ! Not Epson in above post but Canon. But I think that 64 bit drivers are absent elswhere not just Canon.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Have a look at the free version of VueScan9

Like this post
fpg

Likes # 0

Thanks to all - I have follwed many links and one has been a SUCCESS ! rdave13 your suggestion to visit Vuescan was very interesting. I downloaded the program and had an easy install. It worked without any problems. So if Vuescan can write a Win7 64 bit driver that works with old scanners (Canon 1650) it does raise questions re the non-customer support policies of the large manufactures. A happy ending and thanks to PCADVISOR also.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: Apple's new iPhone is bigger, better & faster than ever before