We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 Not Genuine Version

foxy53
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi I've suddenly got a message saying the version of Windows 7 on my PC is not genuine. The PC bought from Chillblast is approx 9 months old & came with Windows 7 installed & I have the OEM disc & certificate of authentication attached to the PC, so believe it to be genuine. The message came after installing a new version Norton Internet Security 201. How do I rectify this situation please? Cheers Alan

Like this post
foxy53

Likes # 0

Norton Internet Security is 2012

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

To check if your Windows 7 is activated:-

Start - right click on computer - then on Properties - wait a few seconds and scroll to the bottom - it should tell you under Windows activation.

Here is a link to the Windows validation tool.

This comment appeared in a blog I was reading:-

"have you changed or upgraded any Hardware on your machine recently because if so then this would be why you have a message saying this copy of windows is not genuine if you have an OEM Machine. If it is OEM then what happens is the key is tied to the Hardware on that Manufacturer's computer hardware."

Try restoring your system to a time before the error message.

If the problem persists can I suggest that you ring the Microsoft Helpline here.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Have a look through this seven forum. Norton may have corrupted a file.

System restore to before the Norton installation.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Or just activate again but use the phone option instead.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

You may find this article of interest; especially the paragraph entitled, "Windows Genuine Advantage during patching?".

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I agree with difarn. A few months ago a MS update caused a similar problem, only solved in the end by the MS team on the Phone.(They took control and sorted it. You need the activation code to hand.)

Like this post
foxy53

Likes # 0

Thanks everyone & sorry for not getting back sooner but been away on holiday & decided to investigate on my return in case I made matters worse before going away. I've tried the system restore & also used Acronis to restore to a point before I got the problem, neither worked still getting the "not genuine message". I'll try the support help line & advise what happens!!

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Did you read my link above?

If so and it failed to help, try the suggestion here titled "Most Helpful Reply".

Like this post
foxy53

Likes # 0

Thanks all, I eventually rang the MS help desk (used tel no. 01954 713950 rather than the 0844 number) & as John Bunyan indicates, they took over my PC & resolved, used a programme called "Fix-it". Even after this, I couldn't get any windows updates, so fully uninstalled Norton & used MS Security Essentials which cured the update problem. I've now re-installed Norton & everything working fine.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Thanks for feedback - could you give a green tick? (on right side)

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Kindle Voyage release date, price and specs UK: a high-end eReader with Amazon’s best-ever...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room